2023 marks the 100th anniversary of the death of Lluís Domènech i Montaner, a celebration coordinated by the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Roundtable, made up of the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Foundation, the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Centre of Studies, the municipalities of Barcelona, Reus and Canet de Mar, and the Generalitat de Catalunya.
In coordination with the entities that make up the Roundtable, several activities are organized by Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site:
This ensemble, made up of 369 books and 67 document folders, has been donated by the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Foundation and will be installed in its own space in the Historical Archive’s reference room.
The Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau is the only example of a modernist building for which all the documentation related to its construction has been preserved. To give it visibility, a permanent display of high-quality copies of plans produced by Domènech i Montaner will be installed in all the spaces that can be visited in the Modernist Site.
This exhibition will give visitors the opportunity to appreciate the mosaics that decorate the facades of the Administration Pavilion, with details and explanations on various aspects such as its creative context by Domènech, the represented historical moments or the artists who executed it.
This exhibition will reproduce plans and details of some of the more than 240 hospitals from around the world that Domènech i Montaner studies to design the hospitals of Santa Creu i Sant Pau at the beginning of the 20th century. These models serve as a starting point to configure a coherent and beautiful set that does not detract from functionality.
Throughout the year several tribute concerts will be held: a recital within the LIFE Victoria Festival, organized with the Victoria de los Ángeles Foundation; a concert at the Bachcelona Festival, organized with the Bachcelona Foundation; and an outdoor concert by the Barcelona Municipal Band.
Cycle of three “à deux” conversations with Lluís Domènech Girbau, aimed at the general public. Organized with the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Foundation.
· Avinguda Gaudí, a mystery to be solved. Conversation with Lluís Domènech Amadó and Joan Busquets, architects.
· The charcoal sketches by Ramón Casas. Conversation with Cristina Mendoza, specialist in Casas’ work.
· The conservation of the work of Domènech i Montaner. Conversation with Andreu Carrascal, Marta Grassot and Miquel Terreu, managers of the COAC, Orfeó Català and Sant Pau archives.
Cycle of five conferences with international level specialized speakers. Organized with the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Foundation.
· Domènech and the origins of Catalonia. Josep M. Salrach (Professor of Medieval History, UPF).
· Domènech, between Classicism and Baroque. Maria Garganté (art historian, UAB) and Raül Garrigasait (philologist and editor, Bernat Metge Foundation).
· Domènech, from positivism to pessimism. Mita Casacuberta (historian and philologist, UdG).
· Domènech, the politician. Borja de Riquer (historian, president of the Good Letters Academy).
· Domènech, eclectic and avant-garde. Hans Ibelings (architectural historian, University of Toronto).
Links of interest
Next year the Year of Domènech i Montaner will be celebrated, coinciding with the centenary of the architect’s death. This celebration has received a new impetus with the accession of the Department of Culture to the Lluís Domènech i Montaner Table, the body in charge of organizing the centenary. The Lluís Domènech i Montaner Foundation, […]